Xtreme Outfitters Mountain Bike Team Calendar


Thursday, September 20, 2007

Downieville Race Report from Eddie

This is the race I will always want to do well at. With the steep, long climb and the long single track descent it makes for a great race. My buddies and I started to ride the coarse 5 weeks before the race. Most was for the conditioning, but for me it was to get my bike together. I added a lot of new parts, but my gears were jumping every where. I would make the ride, but with a lot of annoying skipping. On the last week I turned the bike over to Extreme Outfitters and in an hour the problem was solved, rear derailleur cable housing was not long enough. Thanks Brian.

Well the only thing I wanted from the race to have a better time than last year, I was feeling good and I really thought I could place. The night before decided to registrar and take my motorcycle to make the trip faster. The ride was great but after I met some friends and my brother for beers, I didn’t realize I could drink that much beer. Needless to say I paid for it the next day. I did not feel well the next day. After several trips extracting the fluids and the morning breakfast during the warm up, the race was about to start. At this point I hoped to just make it. Once the race started a ¼ of the way up the paved road I had to pull over from being nauseous as I put my head down I looked over and saw lots of people riding right by. After a few minutes I decided I paid too much for this and I better get my ass in gear. I started off slow but when I got to the dirt road I felt a little better and as I got closer to the first saddle I felt great. I then notice I was passing a lot of people .When I got to the top I felt aggressive and went at race pace also I sprinted over the rollers. All the while I kept passing people and no one passed me.

I don’t know exactly were but at least ¾ into the race I came over a hill and some one was just standing there looking up at me. I slowed down and the rider behind me took the opening past the person, while I crashed into him. That wasn’t bad till I pick up my bike and suddenly I couldn’t move. I had muscle spasms. I just stood there cursing trying to stretch out every part of my body. Lots of people rode right by and I could not do a thing. I had to get myself on the bike and just peddle, in a few minutes of spinning my muscles finally relaxed. But a lot of riders had already passed. I decided I better make the best of it and after taking Sport Legs pills I went for it. I did not pass as many people as before but no one caught up to me.

Well, I finished and still came in under 15 minutes under my best time.13th in sport. May be next year I’ll do better.

No comments: